The Cal Poly Pomona Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will begin packaging eligible students for summer 2022 during the first week of April.
Enrolling in the appropriate summer session classes can help you progress faster toward your degree. If you’re considering summer session enrollment, consult with your academic and/or departmental advisors regarding summer course selection.
Financial aid may be available to current Cal Poly Pomona graduate students to assist with their summer 2022 costs. A valid 2021 2022 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be on file and you must be enrolled at least half time (three units).
Summer financial aid differs significantly from academic year financial aid. Specifically, State University Grant (SUG) and program specific grant funding is not available during the summer. Your summer aid options consist of any Federal Direct Loan aid you did not use during the academic year. You may also apply for a Federal Graduate PLUS Loan or Private Loan to help cover your summer costs – https://paydayloanadvance.net/payday-loans-oh/ both of which require credit approval.
For Summer 2022, you do not need to submit an application for summer Direct Unsubsidized loans. Your eligibility will be reviewed beginning the first week of April, and you will be packaged with aid, as long as you have enrolled in summer courses and have eligibility. You will be notified via your Cal Poly Pomona email once your financial aid package is available.
Federal Direct Loans
Graduate students enrolled in at least 3 units for the Summer may be eligible for limited Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan eligibility if they borrowed less than $20,500 in Federal Direct Unsubsidized loans in the current academic year.
If you did not accept the maximum amount of Federal Direct Loans in the 2021-22 academic year and you are enrolled in at least 3 units for summer, you may be offered Federal Direct Loans for summer. To be eligible for a Federal Direct Student Loan for the Summer, you must meet the following criteria:
- Must have a 2021 2022 FAFSA Application on file with Cal Poly Pomona with no outstanding items on your To Do List
- Must meet the general financial aid eligibility criteria
- Have a financial aid eligible SAP Status (Meets, Warning, Probation)
- You are required to enroll in a minimum of 3 units (these units should be applicable to your degree)
- Must have unused loan funds remaining from the 2021 – 2022 academic year
How Much Can I Borrow for the Summer?
Unsubsidized Loan eligibility for the summer is subject to the maximum annual and lifetime aggregate limits. Login to your account on to review the amount you have already borrowed for the 2021 – 2022 year; you can then compare what you’ve borrowed against the annual loan limits on . Be sure to also review the lifetime loan limits – to ensure you have enough funds remaining to support completing your program.
If you borrowed your full Direct Loan eligibility during the academic year, you may consider applying for a Direct Graduate PLUS Loan.
Deadline for Accepting Your Loan
- If you enroll in Session I only, you must accept your loan and complete all steps no later than June 24
- If you enroll in both Session I and Session II, you must accept your loan and complete all steps no later than July 29
- If you enroll in Session II only, you must accept your loan and complete all steps no later than July 29
- If you enroll in the 10 week session, you must accept and complete all steps by July 29